WEDDING CHECKLIST EXPERT TIP BY: Mike Snider, Northstar Travel & Associates (♥) (northstartravel.ca)
We know that there are endless choices and options for your destination wedding. The most popular destination wedding locale is a beautiful All-Inclusive resort somewhere warm and tropical. The ease and convenience of all-in pricing for couples and their guests is the number one reason that this choice is so popular. To help with your planning, we’ve created this All-Inclusive Destination Wedding Checklist.
9 – 12 MONTHS BEFORE
- Create a budget – You’ll want to consider what your max cost per person is, the cost of the wedding, any additional costs
- Hire a destination wedding travel agent
- Choose a destination and put down a deposit.
- Choose a wedding date – larger resorts cover up to 3 weddings a day – time slots and dates may not be available. A deposit is required to secure the available date with the resort.
- Go for a site visit – if time and budget allow
- Choose your wedding party
- Create a guest list with guests’ email and mailing addresses
- Send Save the Dates
- Order invitations
- Shop for your wedding attire – keep in mind the climate of your selected locale as well as ordering deadlines
6-9 MONTHS BEFORE
- Create a wedding website or page with details of your wedding, resort selection, and travel agent contact info
- Send out invitations
- Choose an officiant if not included or consider taking care of the legal details before you go.
- Book a photographer – if not included or if you have a favourite photographer you’d like to take with you.
- Hire a florist if not included
- Select your menu and cake
- Hire a DJ or Band if not included
- Shop for your shoes, headpiece, jewelry, etc.
- Select your wedding party’s attire
- Create your gift registry
4-6 MONTHS BEFORE
- Check or obtain your passports – must be valid for at least 6 months after travel dates
- Get blood tests and/or vaccines if required that may be required at your destination
- Shop for resort/honeymoon wear
- Buy any wedding accessories you may need including a cake topper, guest book, décor, etc.
- Plan any pre-wedding activities including a welcome cocktail party or an excursion
- Start a song list for your DJ/Band
2-3 MONTHS BEFORE
- Order favours and welcome bags
- Book a hairstylist and/or makeup artist o Buy a wedding gift for your fiancé
- Shop for gifts for your wedding party
1 MONTH BEFORE
- Prepare welcome letter
- Assemble welcome bags
- Arrange delivery of welcome bags, favours, décor, and accessories to the resort
- Final wedding attire fittings
- Create or order wedding programs
- Write your vows
- Choose readings and readers for your ceremony
- Confirm details with all vendors
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Confirm your travel details
- Create a list of guests’ arrival details if different from your own
- Create a seating chart and place cards if needed
- Create a list of all of your vendors’ contact information to take with you
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Start packing!
- If you’re having a legal ceremony at your destination, apply for a marriage licence
WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION
- Do a walk-through of the ceremony and reception sites – this is an excellent time to also do a food tasting to make any last-minute changes to your menu
- Confirm details with your on-site wedding planner
- Assemble/deliver welcome bags to guest rooms or have the front desk include them in guest rooms
- Arrange a time to have bouquets and boutonnieres delivered to you on your wedding day
- Have a hair/makeup trial prior to your wedding
- Have wedding attire pressed/steamed o Book a manicure, pedicure, or massage for the day before the wedding
- Have your wedding gift delivered to your fiancé
- Make sure you have the rings before heading to the ceremony
- Marry your soulmate!
ABOUT NORTHSTAR TRAVEL & ASSOCIATES: The team of TICO-certified Northstar Travel agents are thrilled to help couples plan their weddingmoons, honeymoons, bachelor/bachelorette trips, and more. With expertise in planning travel throughout the world: from Canada to the Caribbean to Europe to cruising to Disney– they’ll help make your I Do’s as unique as you are.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT NORTHSTAR TRAVEL & ASSOCIATES | To speak with Northstar Travel about your wedding options, you can reach them using the form below.