EXPERT TIP BY ELEMENT FUSION STUDIOS (♥) (www.elementfusion.ca) Toronto, ON
Planning a wedding can be one of the most exciting times of your life. At times it may feel very stressful; trying to find a venue that’s available on the date you’d like, deciding how many people and who to invite, or even when choosing your vendors and trying to decide between a few of them. We promise you, in the end, it is totally worth it!
Ankur from Element Fusion Studios would like to offer you some tips on how to choose a photographer for your engagement, elopement, and/or wedding needs, so that investing in a photography company or photographer is easy, stress-free, and helps ensure you get the photos you dream of!
1. Confirm your wedding date and venue before you meet with a photographer “The first part of your planning process should be finding a venue that meets your vision for your wedding day. Once you have a venue and a date, it will help you with the rest of your planning as it is likely the first question that will come up in any consultation to ensure the vendor is available.”
2. Consider the style of the photographer and envision yourself in their photos “Every photographer likely has a style of editing for their photos and/or the style of photography they pride themselves on. One of the first things couples do is look through online photo galleries and social media pages to see what style of photos they like. But ‘style’ could mean so many things. You’ll see photos that are pastel or neutral-toned, dark and moody, or even colorful and vibrant. You’ll also see photos that are ‘light and airy’ or ‘elegant and dramatic’, so take some time to sit down with your significant other and really go through examples of what you love, and also examples of what doesn’t really fit your vision.”
3. Meet with your photographer for an initial consultation “I cannot stress this tip enough – meet with your photographer, the actual person who will be capturing your engagement, elopement, or wedding. This is not just an opportunity to ask questions, but more importantly, it’s an opportunity for you to get an initial gauge of what working with this individual will be like. Think of it as a 2-way interview! What’s important to me as a photographer, is that the client trusts me and we can have a good laugh and conversation over coffee. It makes everything so much easier throughout the wedding day when we all get along, everyone is comfortable with each other, and we’ve built that rapport and trust.”
4. Ask yourself if you need one photographer or two for your wedding needs “Often couples will immediately request two photographer packages, but are unsure if it’s the right choice. I’ve had couples think ‘more is better’ and assume they need two photographers for that reason alone. I always aim to understand my couples’ needs and understand the “why”, and then make suggestions or recommendations that meet those needs. For example, having a second shooter available as part of your package is imperative if the ‘getting ready’ portion of the wedding day is important to you and the distance between the two getting ready locations is far enough to warrant a second shooter.”
5. Ask the photographer if they carry backup equipment “You’ve spent months planning your wedding day, everything is going smoothly, and is just as you imagined so far. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong. We’ve all heard the stories where a photographer experienced a camera failure, memory card failures, and picture loss, or camera gear being stolen. These are true stories and they do happen. While it can happen to anyone, preparation is key. A professional wedding photographer will always carry backup gear to ensure an uninterrupted wedding day for their couples.” There are many wonderful and talented photographers out there today, each bringing their own creative skill and art as well as experience to the wedding industry. With that said, if your photographer only captures moments with a single camera or lens, think about what’s important to you. “If something were to happen to that one camera or lens, without backup equipment, how will that impact your wedding photos?” “Remember, this journey is incredibly fun from beginning to end, so when choosing a photographer, invest in a photographer that you feel you can absolutely trust and be yourself with. After all, it’ll make your wedding day that much smoother. Let the planning fun begin!”
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ELEMENT FUSION STUDIOS | To speak with Element Fusion Studios about your wedding options, you can reach them using the form below.