After hundreds of weddings, Don Perron’s love for ceremonies never fails to inspire
We know that it takes an extraordinary person to perform hundreds of weddings without losing inspiration or passion for the job over time. But Don Perron of Pastoral Services of Guelph, has never lost his love for weddings. In fact, the team at The Ring has known Don Perron for 12 years now, and he’s still one of our favourite wedding vendors to work with.
Don has performed ceremonies at just about every venue and outdoor space in Southwestern Ontario, particularly in the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge & Guelph areas. From The Medieval Times Dinner & Theatre to reality weddings on the Slice Network, there’s very little that Don hasn’t been a part of when it comes to wedding ceremonies.
Don Perron in person
While Don is native to Guelph, we first met with him at Waterloo City Hall, where he worked at the time. Don greeted us with a big smile, handshake, and took us around the corner to a nearby café. As we walked, he seemed to know everyone that we passed by name. We sat down over coffee to talk, Don never losing a drop of energy throughout our nearly two hour interview. With his enthusiasm for wedding ceremonies and great ideas on how to incorporate children and personality into his ceremonies, we walked away feeling like we had made a new friend and felt very inspired. He says what he means and wears his heart in his sleeve.
Choosing an officiant is personal
Don Perron is an Ordained Minister, licensed by the Government of Ontario to officiate weddings and will perform weddings of just about every style – same sex, non-denominational, spiritual, indoors and outdoors, to name a few.
His weddings have taken place in chapels, pavilions, venues, forests, fields and on television, with the only common denominator being that two people were madly in love.
His couples unanimously agree that Don is open, friendly, easy-going, and willing to do just about whatever it takes to make your wedding day as personal, meaningful and fun as you want it to be. “It is important to me that the bride and groom feel comfortable with me and with the ceremony we create together… Planning a wedding is a very special time in one’s life, and I want to help you create a service that is you, with the dignity, warmth, celebration and solemnity it deserves. My interest and desire is to make your wedding day as perfect as possible.”
Frances Seeley says Don made her special day unique, “We received many compliments on how wonderful (Don) was and the personal touches we were able to add to our ceremony. We are still receiving compliments even though it has been almost three months now. Not only was the service excellent, Don also helped us calm down and relax. The fact that he was able to walk my dad up to me as he couldn’t walk the whole way was very special to me and I can never thank him enough for that.”
It’s your ceremony
Don Perron has spent a lot of personal time developing different ways to incorporate children and mixed families into the ceremony, methods of drawing the guests into the ceremony, and ways of just knowing what the couple really wants to get out of their ceremony – apart from the piece of paper. Don says that he has found success through the years because each ceremony is designed just for the couple in love. There is no generic step-by-step wedding offered, unless the couple specifically asks for it. Don is open to anything just so long as the dignity of the ceremony is kept.
Don has several ways to incorporate children into ceremonies for couples who are blending a family. An example of this would be the way he alters the end of your ceremony, by saying, “I now pronounce you husband… and wife… and family,” and adds a special token as per family wishes.
Don places a lot of focus on the vows. This is where couples really can make the ceremony their own. “If you want to say ‘I take you, Honeypoo, to be my husband…’ then that’s okay with me. As long as it means something to you,” says Don. It seems wrong to class a minister in the category of someone who is working for you, but Don pointed out that, “Ultimately, the bride and groom are my clients, and I am providing a service for them. It’s my job to give them the ceremony they really want.”
Annette and Andrew said that Don really contributed to their special day, “(Don) did such a great job preforming our ceremony, it was exactly what we were looking for!”
Christine and Gavin agree, “Our ceremony was more amazing than we could have imagined. Everyone felt Don’s kindness and warmth. Thank you for making us husband and wife.”
Going to the chapel… (or beach… or gazebo…)
When you choose Don Perron as your wedding officiant, you will get what can sometimes be lost in the mix of wedding planning – to be inspired about your ceremony, to design that twenty to forty minutes in a way that really speaks to your heart. But, like with any wedding services, you need to meet Don first.
In a pre-wedding consultation, you will get a chance to sit down together with Don to discuss what you’re looking for, what ideas you have, what ideas he has, and then ultimately decide if Don is the right officiant for you. If you choose to go ahead, you will lay out a brief idea of how the ceremony will be performed.
One week before your wedding, Don will contact you to make final arrangements and details. Following that, the next time you see him will be about a half hour before your wedding ceremony. Unless you request it, Don doesn’t usually require a rehearsal ceremony the day before the wedding.
Maggie and Michael were married in July and we’re thankful to Don for the guidance and counsel he provided for their wedding ceremony, noting that his experience and relaxed nature helped ease any of their worries or stress.”
Details, details, details
• Don performs non-denominational, spiritual, religious, same partner, mixed ceremonies and many more customized ceremonies that you can have designed to your satisfaction. They can include your ideas and your chosen vows to fit your personal needs or customs.
• Don has options for incorporating children, parents, grandparents or anyone else special to you into ceremonies.
• He has options for unity candle ceremonies as well as alternatives to the unity candle ceremony, such as various sand ceremonies, and a beautiful parental service.
• Don can add a tastefully customized memorial service for a loved one to your special day.
• He provides a variety of options and information when you meet him. Don is an expert on the Ontario Marriage Act and can help answer all of your questions.
• Travel Area: Don tries to focus on performing ceremonies within Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridgr, Guelph and surrounding areas for the most part, but he welcomes all inquiries!
• Don recommends booking as far in advance as possible.
• Fees are approximately $300 for your complete package (excluding rehearsals). For off-hour, private legal ceremonies, fees are based on the services you may or may not require, the location and the day of the week. Rehearsals, if required, are extra. “My interest and desire is to make your wedding day as perfect as possible and the only way I can do this is by meeting you first.”
• Don always dresses in formal attire – without a collar (unless requested otherwise).
• For peace of mind Don has back-up celebrants to fill in, in case of unforeseen circumstances.
To book Don Perron
Don would love to hear from you. He or his wife Sandy can answer any questions you may have, talk briefly about your ideas, set-up an appointment to meet, or just offer a friendly voice on the other end of the phone that is as interested in your ceremony as you are. To contact Don, email him directly using the form below 🙂
Rate & review Don Perron…
Read what other couples & experts have said…